I was sitting in front of my computer checking my Active Rain points at eight in the morning, starting to wake up with my first cup of coffee.
The phone rings.
"Pat, it's Sarah." Ok, the lady who lives next door to the house I'm working on listing. "There is a really gawdawful smell coming from Tom's house - like wet fire."
Good grief! I'm out of my jammies and into real clothes in two minutes. Grab the keys. Run down the street.
Sara is right. The smell on the porch is like he tried to burn wet wood. Or like he had a little fire that he put out himself. Yikes!
Tom is an older gentleman who probably should not be living alone. I am in a panic. I bang on the door, and he answers with a smile. Once inside the house, the smell is gone. We go upstairs and downstairs. So smoke smell.
A friend of his knocks on the door and doesn't smell anything. His smeller is broke, he says.
We finally decide that, even though we don't smell anything inside the house, calling 911 was a great idea. Could be an electrical fire in the walls. And within minutes, some adorable guys from the DC fire Depatrment showed up on the front porch, sniffing and sharing that it smells like a smoulder.
And it was. They found a ceramic pot on another neighbor's porch with smouldering cigarettte butts and, um, a few roaches.
Now, I don't know the people who live in this particular house, but I now know they are potheads. And I'm a wee bit annoyed hat they disrupted my moring couting my Active Rain points. But isn't that what full service real estate is all about?
Oh, well. The firemen were just wonderful. I gotta go check out the firehouse!
And I changed the names to protect the innocent.